Sunday, July 10, 2005

The Calm before the Storm
Growing up in Alabama, I experienced multiple Tornados and Hurricanes. My Mom would rush into my room at night, if she heard the warning sirens, and gather me up still clinging to my pillow and put me in our hallway closet. The morning after would usually bring reports of destruction and devastation. Death of family members, homes destroyed, and precious memories lost. The look their faces showed defeat and hopelessness but every once in a while a person would look into the camera and tell their story of loss but instead their eyes showed something of gain. This gain is the strength of their faith. Of having realized that this obstacle can be overcome, of having realized that the same God who created the storm also blesses us with a Rainbow after. Seeing that trust in them has in turn encouraged me to view a mighty squall the same way that King Lear does, with a clinched fisted pointed upward and a shout "Blow wind and crack your cheeks."

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

"Of having realized that this obstacle can be overcome, of having realized that the same God who created the storm also blesses us with a Rainbow after." -That is such an amazing truth! I wonder how much of what we perceive as trial and trouble is actually God showing His power and we just need to wait for the rainbow...maybe instead of asking God "why me?" or" why is this happening?", we should ask God, "Give me the eyes to see your glory...give me the eyes to see the rainbow..."